Gravlax cured with Bertha’s Revenge Gin
Gravlax cured with Bertha’s Revenge Gin which is distilled at the distillery at Ballyvolane House. The fragrant spices and citrus notes in the gin work brilliantly with the salmon. It takes three days to cure properly. Serve with dill-mustard sauce and cucumber pickle.
- 2 sides of salmon (organic or wild) with the skin on.
- 10 dried juniper berries.
- 5cl Bertha’s Revenge gin.
- 2 teaspoons Maldon sea salt.
- 2 tablespoons sugar.
- 2 teaspoons of freshly ground pepper.
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh dill.
- Using a pestle and mortar, crush the juniper berries and then all the gin to make a paste.
- In a separate bowl, mix the salt, sugar, pepper and dill together.
- Lay out one side of salmon on clingfilm and spread on the gin and juniper paste.
- Next, sprinkle the salt and sugar mixture over the paste, ensuring it is evenly coated.
- Please the other side of salmon on top of hte salmon with the cure, like a sandwich, skin side up.
- Wrap all the salmon well in the clingfilm, do this twice to make it tighter and to avoid any leakage. Place in a container and refrigerate.
- Turn the salmon gravlax over every day for 3 days. It will be ready on day 4.
Dill-Mustard Sauce Recipe
Ingredients - Serves 8-10 people
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of French mustard
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1/4 pint sunflower oil
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
Whisk the yolk, mustard and sugar in a bowl slowly. Add the oild drop by drop until the mixture has emulsified, then and the vinegar and dill. Season with salt/pepper to taste.
- 1 cucumber
- 4 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 small red chilli, chopped very finely
- 1 small shallot, very thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons hot water
- Cut the cucumber in half lengthways.
- Slice very thinly.
- Combine hot water, rice vinegar, salt and sugar in a medium sized pyrex bowl, until the salt and sugar are dissolved.
- Cut the shallot into tiny pieces.
- Add the cucumber, shallots and chilli to the vinegar, and stir so that it is all combinec.
- Allow to marinate for a few hours, strain before serving.