Food for thought
Entertain The Night Before Or The Day After
The dining room can be used to host a dinner for family and close friends the night before. Barbeques, Hog Roasts and traditional Sunday Lunch Roats are always popular the day after the wedding.
Weather permitting, this would take place outside in the gardens and if it’s raining, we can use the hall, dining room and drawing room in the main house for the drinks reception. We will also put up a small Indian Raj-style tent on the lawn, as it will give shade to your guests if it’s hot and sunny or protection from the rain if it’s wet. We would dislpay the wedding cake under the Raj tent.
From Canapés to Hog Roasts...
The menus vary with seasonal, fishing and weather conditions. All our ingredients are sourced locally from artisan food producers, where possible they are organic and we grow a huge amount of our own vegetables and fruit in our walled garden. We rear our own Saddleback, Glouscester Old Spot and Duroc pigs and have a flock of free-range hens that produce fantastic eggs for breakfast and baking. We are mad-keen foragers as well. We buy all our beef and lamb from McGrath Butchers in Lismore. Seafood comes from O'Connell's in the English Market in Cork or Ballycotton Seafood. We are lucky being located in Cork as there is an abundance of fantastic artisan food producers nearby.
Sample Hot & Cold Pass Around Canapes @ €15 per person
Hot & Cold Pass Around Canapes @ €15 Per Person (please choose 5 of the following)
- Homemade duck liver parfait, apple-raisin chutney on toast (cold)
- House-cured West Cork organic salmon and crème fraiche, chives on blinis (cold)
- Selection of Irish cured meats with pickles (cold)
- Courgette and St. Tola goat’s cheese (v) (cold)
- Spicy mini fish cakes with sweet chilli sauce (hot)
- Gubbeen chorizo on sautéed potato with sour cream (hot)
- Chicken satay skewers, spicy peanut sauce (hot)
- Antipasti selection (v) (cold)
- Pea, broad bean, garlic bruschetta (v) (warm)
- Tomato, basil, garlic bruschetta (v) (warm)
Main Meal @ €75 Per Person
The main meal ranges from a traditional sit-down wedding breakfast to a more informal meal such as hog roast (whole piggy slow roasted on a spit over a log fire). Please find a sample menu for the summertime on the following page. We offer seaonal variations to this menu as well. Special children’s menus are available. Needless to say we are happy to accommodate any special dietary requirements such as vegetarians, vegans, coeliac and allergy sufferers. A menu tasting will be arranged in advance of the big day.
Midnight Munchies @ €8 Per Person
We normally serve up grilled Caherbeg bacon sandwiches (cheese & chutney for the non-meat eaters) along with the wedding cake at around 11.30pm. This goes down a treat with the guests. If you would rather have a more elaborate midnight buffet feast, we would be happy to offer this option too. The quantity we normally prepare is for half the group i.e. if you have 120 guests, we would serve sandwiches for 60 people.
Please choose 3 starters to share. These will be served on large platters and placed in the centre of the table for everyone to share. Please choose 1 soup and 1 hot starter and 1 cold starter.
- Fresh pea and coriander soup (v)
- Chilled cucumber soupl (v)
- Half the garden soup (v)
- Union Hall crabmeat crème brûlée, tomato salsa, Melba toast (cold)
- Organic West Cork salmon gravlax cured with Bertha's Revenge Gin, cucumber pickle, dill-mustard sauce (cold)
- Gubbeen chorizo and warm garden potato salad (hot)
- Chicken liver parfait, onion marmalade, toast (cold)
- Grilled flat mushroom salad with Gubbeen steaky bacon, garden rocket, balsamic vinaigrette (hot)
- Pear, walled-garden rocket, pine nut and Cashel Blue cheese salad (v) (n) (cold)
- St. Tola goat's cheese and roasted beetroot salad (v) (n) (cold)
Please choose 1 main course, which will be served in large plates for the entire table to share. There is also a vegetarian option available for the non-meat lovers.
- Roast sirloin of McGrath’s Hereford beef, sauce Béarnaise
- Boiled McGrath’s corned beef, mustard-parsley sauce
- Roast loin of Caherbeg bacon, white parsley sauce
- Chargrilled marinated butterflied leg of McGrath's lamb, green sauce
- Hog roast with dipping sauces (whole piggy slow-roasted on a spit over a timber fire)
- Roast Ballyvolane saddleback pork, crackling, Bramley apple sauce, cider-cream sauce
- Roast Coopershill venison, red currant sauce
- Confit of Skeaghanore duck leg, roast summer root vegetables, red wine jus
- Roast organic chicken, wild garlic bread sauce, gravy
- Baked fresh market fish, saffron-Hollandaise
- Roast organic West Cork salmon, Hollandaise sauce
For the non-meat lovers…
- Homemade gnocchi with spinach and garlic cream (v)
- Broad bean, pea, mint risotto (v)
- Homemade ravioli, tomato basil sauce (v)
All main courses are served with potatoes, seasonal vegetables and dressed mixed leaf salad all grown in our walled- garden during the growing season.
Please choose 1 pudding, which will be served in large plates for everyone to share.
- Dark chocolate tart
- Eton Mess
- Summer berry trifle
- Gooseberry fool
- Bramley apple and blackberry crumble
- Dark chocolate tart
- Fresh lemon tart
- Lemon posset
- Spotted Dick
- Traditional crème brûlée
- Elderflower panna cotta
All puddings are served with homemade ice cream, whipped cream as well as either poached seasonal fruit or fresh berries in season.
Selection of local artisan cheeses
Loose leaf tea, Maher's coffee, fresh herb infusion
NO SERVICE CHARGE APPLICABLE (v) vegetarian (n) contains nuts